NYX Circe (MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 dupe?)

Shortly after New Years, MAC will be discontinuing my first ever purchase from the brand and one of my favorite lipsticks of all time, Viva Glam Gaga 2. As of now, you can still buy MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 on the MAC website, and it is also available in a holiday gift set called Viva Glam Melt Your Heart Lip Bag, which also includes the pink Viva Glam Gaga 1 shade. Instead of stockpiling multiple backups and breaking the bank in the process, I went on the hunt for a more affordable comparable shade and stumbled upon NYX Circe. Is it dupe worthy?


NYX Circe vs MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2

Price
NYX- I bought this off of Cherry Culture during a sale and spent less than $2. 

MAC- This gem will run you $14.50 on its own, or $36 for the Viva Glam Melt Your Heart Lip Bag which also includes the pink Viva Glam Gaga 1 shade.

Formula
NYX- The formula is ultra creamy, but to the point of being slippery. Though it provides decently opaque coverage, I can feel the product sliding around my lips when I wear it. In terms of scent and taste, neither are too strong or unpleasant.

MAC- As an Amplified Creme, this lipstick is incredibly opaque and I find it quite creamy as well. However, it doesn't have the slip of the NYX formula. Of course, MAC is notorious for its vanilla scented lipsticks, so applying this one is a real treat.

Staying Power
NYX- I can get an hour or two of wear out of this lipstick- more if I layer it over a liner or a touch of concealer, less if I top it with a gloss. 

MAC- I get considerable more wear out of this one, but I wouldn't say it is especially long lasting. A few hours at best, less if topped with a gloss.

Shade
The two lipsticks are remarkably close in shade, but I wouldn't call them exact dupes. 

NYX- Slightly deeper in shade, less pigmented, a touch less glossy of a finish.

MAC- More of a 'milky' appearance because it is ever so lightly paler, more pigmented, a touch pinker, and glossier.



All in all, I highly prefer MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 for its superior formula and shade. NYC Circe, however, is nice to have around for when I want to create similar look without depleting my precious tube of Gaga 2. And we can't deny that price is a biggie here- because NYX Circe cost me less than $2, I don't mind reapplying often as much as I would with a more expensive shade.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More