August Favorites & Flunkies

 August came and went more quickly than I would have liked, and we are now officially into September. Nonetheless, I am getting excited for autumn, but the summer heat is still blasting in my neck of the woods. August was a relatively uninspired month for me, in terms of makeup. I could be seen sporting either dark, dramatic lids with a nude or even bare lips, or a bold lip with a minimalist, mascara-only eye. I didn't haul much either. I spent most of my summer incredibly tight on money, and when I did finally get some extra cash to play with I found that nothing really peaked my interest.  I do have a Cherry Culture order on its way though!

Here are the goodies I have been reaching for this month, as well as two flunkies. Also, please forgive me for the photos. I have been fighting with Blogger to rotate them, but I gave up after the third round of editing and resizing the pictures. Sorry!

Urban Decay Naked Palette 
Once again, this much adored palette makes it onto my monthly favorites list. However, this month I gave some love to the four shadows that I usually neglect the most. Toasted and Hustle, with their purple undertones, paired together made for a gorgeous, updated brown lid, and Creep and Gunmetal helped me create some gorgeous smokey eyes. Creep is also my go-to shade for setting liner now.

wet N wild Color Icon Palette in Comfort Zone
When I have opted for more neutral eyes this month, I have been reaching for the first two shades in this awesome, budget friendly palette. The first shade is a shimmer yellow beige and the second is a shimmery orange peach.

The palette also includes this amazing shadow, a brown/red/green multichrome, that makes for a simple and multidimensional dramatic lid or an interesting liner setting shade. I suspect this is very similar to MAC's Club, but since I don't own it I can't officially say how dupe-worthy it is. Regardless, it is a unique, high quality shadow.

Revlon Color Burst Lipstick in Soft Nude
Nude lipstick perfection. After seeing this on multiple blogs, I picked this gem up and couldn't be happier. It is my perfect pinky nude- my lips looks muted, but not dead. And it is budget-friendly. Holla!

MAC Musky Amethyst
I fall in love with this lipstick every time I use it- it balances red and plum in a wearable way. It has been a really versatile shade for me as well: a few dabs and it serves as a subtle lip stain, or a proper application makes for a gorgeous statement lip.

MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipglass
When I am at work I do not have time to touch up my lipstick, so this opaque nude gloss has been a savior. I can tuck it into my pocket and reapply whenever I feel the need, allowing my look to remain polished and fresh looking. I don't like this on its own so much, but it is great to layer over or revitalize nude lipstick.
LORAC Multiplex 3D Lip Gloss in 3D
I received this deluxe sample in a Sephora kit, and I really adore it. 3D is a rose bronze shade with multicolored shimmer. The look of this on the lips is almost metallic.  I love to layer this on top of MAC Musky Amethyst.

NYX Lip Liner in Rose
In August I rediscovered lip liner, and I can't believe I have been wearing lipstick without it. I have a few of these NYX liners and am impressed with the quality of all of them, but I have been reaching for Rose, a light pink, most often. The formula is a bit dry, but the pencil doesn't drag on my lips and it makes my lipstick last a lot longer.

Benefit Erase Paste in No. 2
 This concealer was a rediscovery for me. After sitting unloved in my makeup drawer, I dragged it back out and have been using it almost daily. I realized that I didn't love it before this summer because it was too dark for my skin, thus emphasizing dark circles. Now that I have a bit of a tan, it works like a dream.
John Frieda Sheer Blonde Shampoo & Conditioner
I broke my vow to use only natural shampoo and conditioner this month. Although the overall condition of my hair is good, my blonde locks were looking dull. This duo has really revitalized the appearance of my hair: after just two week I notice my hair is shinier and less brassy.

My homemade sea spray
Water, a bit of salt, and a few drops of coconut oil in a little spray bottle make for a great sea spray. A few mists on my dry hair emphasizes my natural waves and adds some texture. Try it out!


Flunkies....
blinc Mascara
I received this in my most recent (and last...but more on that in a future post) Birchbox. Initially I was really intrigued by this mascara, which creates tubes around your lashes. Although removing it is super easy and mess-free (the tubes just slide off with warm water), this is a really natural looking mascara. I need more volume and length, so the novelty of the "tubing" isn't enough to sell me.

Estée Lauder Double Matte Foundation
My hunt for my HG foundation brought me to the Estee Lauder counter, where the sales associate offered me a sample of Double Wear and Double Matte. Double Matte, contrary to what the name suggests, doesn't provide a long wearing matte finish. Even with primer and powder, my oily skin was in its full glory halfway through the day. Read my full review of Double Matte and Double Wear here.

What have you been loving this month? Any regretful purchases?


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More