How to Depot NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils

 I know I am not alone when I say that I adore NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils. There is a lot to love, too: they are inexpensive, high quality, and come in a wide variety of colors. My favorite is Milk, a creamy white- it is absolute must-have in my makeup routine. They make superb bases that make shadows more vibrant and long lasting. Although they are only a couple of bucks a pop, I hated the idea of sharpening Milk and wasting product. Besides, I don't even have a sharpener large enough for it! So when I finally wore the tip down to the base and found myself digging product out of the pencil, I knew it was time to figure out how to depot (or rather, 'depencil') it. Here is how I transferred my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil into a small jar container!

  You will need:
 Your NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil
A small, sterilized jar container
Needle nosed pliers
A hair dryer

Step 1: Pop the cap off of the end of the pencil
 The plastic cap should just pop right off the end of the pencil. If not, you could use your pliers to pry it off.

Step 2: Grip the bottom of the pencil with your pliers
 Once the cap is removed, simply grip the side of the pencil by putting one tip of the pliers inside of the pencil and the other on the outside. Hold tightly.

Step 3: Position pencil tip over jar and apply heat with hair dryer
 Position the tip of the pencil over your small jar, and turn your hair dryer on the highest, hottest setting. Direct the hot air at the side of the pencil- by holding the pencil with your pliers you are protecting your hands from the heat. 

Step 4: Keep directing heat at the pencil as the product slowly melts
 It takes about three minutes or so for product to start to melt and slide out of the pencil. As the product liquifies and pours into your jar, take care not to splatter the hot liquid everywhere with your hair dryer. I found it necessary to flip the pencil around and apply heat to the tip that was originally gripped by the pliers to fully depot all of the product. Once all of the product is removed, you will be able to see straight through the empty wooden pencil:

Step 5: Let product cool back into a solid and screw on lid tight
 The liquid depotted eye pencil will return to a creamy solid after a few minutes. I noticed no difference between the product's consistency or performance after melting it and letting it cool.

Ta-da!  
Now you can use your pencil like you were before. You can use your finger or a brush to pick up and blend product.

There we go! No wasted product, no cumbersome pencil to sharpen! Enjoy!


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More