July Favorites & Flunkies


July was a really exciting month for me! Not only is July my birthday month, but I made a big change and moved to a new state! As far as makeup goes, I didn't haul much but I had a blast rediscovering some oldies but goodies in my collection. I had been in a bit of a makeup routine rut that finally broke this month. Here is what I have been all about this month, along with two flunkies that disappointed me.

 Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Gash
Gash is a shimmery, coppery dark red with a slight metallic sheen. It looks a little intimidating in the pan, but it is a really divine and versatile shadow. This month I have been blending this in to my crease for an interesting take on a smokey eye. Or when I am feeling really dramatic, I pack this all over the lid- sounds scary but it looks awesome, and really makes my green eyes pop. 

Urban Decay Naked Palette
An old favorite that I fell out of the habit of using my UD Naked Palette until just recently. This month it has definitely made a comeback- it has been ideal to create bronzed and golden eyes that are perfect for summer. I have been particularly loving Smog, Half Baked, and Darkhorse.
 
 Essie Topless & Barefoot
For the first part of summer I was obsessed with bright colors- especially coral and orange. This month, I have opted for more subtle and sophisticated nudes and pastels. Topless & Barefoot is the perfect nude for me, and made for an awesome birthday manicure.

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in Mint Sorbet
This is a recent purchase and unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of my mani while wearing this. I have been craving a pale mint green and was debating between this and Essie Mint Candy Apple. I picked Mint Sorbet because the Essie one is a touch more blue. Mint Sorbet has a really delicious creamy finish and looks great against a tan.

Sephora Sculpting Disk- Bronzer section
Bronzer has been a must-have for me this July, and I have been adoring  the one in the Sephora Sculpting Disk. I already used all of the translucent powder, and the highlighter is just so-so but the bronzer is perfection. It is a matte brown that doesn't lean orange and is great as an all over setting powder or contouring shade.

 MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2
When I first bought this, I was afraid it was too pale and gave me the dreaded concealer lips. Now that I have a bit of a tan, this lipstick is the perfect nude. It is a creamy beige that doesn't lean pink with an amplified finish. 

e.l.f. Mineral Lipstick in Runway Pink
I rediscovered this lipstick this month and it has been my go-to shade. It is a gorgeous creamy pale pink that goes with most any look.
 
 Maybelline Lash Stiletto
  I bought this during massive CVS haul and paid less than a quarter for it so I figured it was worth a shot. I don't particularly like this for my top lashes because it doesn't deliver the volume I seek, but it is superb for the bottom lashes. The wand is small and slightly pointed making it ideal for reaching those small inner corner lashes, and the lengthening formula gives a doll-like look. 

Loreal Voluminous Carbon Black
I have been trying out a few mascaras lately, so this old favorite fell to the bottom of my collection. I started using it regularly again this month and it makes me wonder why I even bother to try other mascaras! The formula is truly volumizing without getting too clumpy, and the consistency only gets better with time.

Sonia Kashuk Synthetic Flat Top Brush
I received this in a Makeup Alley swap and it is a much welcomed addition to my brush collection. It is technically a blusher brush, but I have been using it to buff in my liquid foundation. The bristles are really soft and dense and delivers an almost airbrushed finish.

Korres Fig Shower Gel
I  received this in my July Birchbox and was so excited to try the Korres brand. I love that this is all natural and lathers well, and the fig scent is right up my alley: earthy, dark, and slightly sweet.

ybf automatic eyebrow pencil in universal taupe
 This was also a recent Birchbox goodie, and has been a trusty addition to my daily routine. This pencil is soft with nice staying power, a good match for my brow color, and the spoolie on the end is handy.

Unfortunately, July also brought me two flunkies:
Benefit Coralista
I might get some grief for this one, but I wasn't all that impressed with this cult favorite. This was a 100 point perk at Sephora, and never one to say no to a coral blush I snagged it. The color is nice, but not too unique in my opinion. But what really gets me is the smell! It is strongly scented, and the sweet sugary perfume lingers on my skin. Yuck.

alba Coconut Creamy lip balm
I loved this when I first picked it up for just a few cents during my CVS sale haul. I love that it is all natural and I am obsessed with anything coconut. But because it is made of mostly natural oils, this baby cannot hold up to heat.  A summer day in my purse and this lip balm was totally melted. I do like this, but sadly it has to live my by nightstand and stay indoors. 

What have you been lovin' this month? Any flunkies to report?


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More